ISO/IEC 17025 specifies the general requirements for the competence to carry out tests and/or calibrations, including sampling. It covers testing and calibration performed using standard methods, non-standard methods, and laboratory-developed methods. It is applicable to all organizations performing tests and/or calibrations. These include, for example, first, second and third party laboratories, and laboratories where testing and/or calibration forms part of inspection and product certification.
What are the benefits to me and my organization?
- ISO/IEC 17025 is for use by laboratories in developing their management system for quality, administrative and technical operations. Laboratory customers, regulatory authorities and accreditation bodies may also use it in confirming or recognising the competence of laboratories
- Laboratory accreditation is highly regarded both nationally and internationally as a reliable indicator of technical competence. Many industries, such as the construction materials industry, routinely specify laboratory accreditation for suppliers of testing services
How can it help me to gain business?
- Provides a ready means for customers to identify and select reliable testing, measurement and calibration services across the globe
- Accreditation is an effective marketing tool for testing, calibration and measurement organizations, and a passport to submit tenders to contractors that require independently verified laboratories
What are the internal benefits for my business?
- Being certified to ISO 17025 gives you confidence in the calibration decisions you make
- Eliminates the need for supplier auditing - calibration suppliers are independently verified through the accreditation process